A pergola is an outdoor room with cross rafters and no walls that provides a light, airy and inviting space to relax, dine or just admire. If you’re looking to add something visually interesting to your backyard, a pergola is exactly what you need to provide a stunningly aesthetic centerpiece to your outdoor living environment. No matter the size or style, any outdoor living space will be dramatically enhanced by the added protection from the elements it provides as well as the striking complexity it will add to your existing structures.
As a leader in the industry, Archadeck of Central South Carolina are the experts Columbia homeowners turn to for custom- designed and built outdoor structures and combination outdoor living spaces. Too often in the preliminary design stage, pergolas are overlooked because most people are simply unaware of the many benefits they offer. For instance, a pergola is the ideal structural addition to increase the character of your deck, patio and landscape because it introduces a vertical element that is often lacking.
The many benefits of this wonderful element include:
- The feeling of a defined space – Four columns and cross rafters with no walls and a deck or concrete floor create an open-air outdoor room that’s great for eating, entertaining or lounging around with a magazine, offering more privacy than a deck or patio. Add drapes, screens or other materials to the pergola and you’ll have even more privacy.
- Shade – Be it with simple beams across the top, providing a roof-like structure, or fabric or lattice that creates an even more defined top cover. While pergolas don’t provide total shade, those beams or latticework do provide some relief from the intensity of the sun. At night, you can still sit under the pergola and see the stars.
- Block unsightly views – Pergolas are also useful for added privacy or for blocking unsightly views, like a neighbor’s hideous outbuilding or dead tree. Placing a pergola strategically will focus guests’ attention on elements of your property that contribute a sense of elegance to your backyard.
- Your own “green” initiative – Vines like clematis, ivy, wisteria or grapes all do well when planted around a pergola. Not only will climbing plants be an attractive addition to the structure, but they’ll also provide you with even more shade and privacy…not to mention the option of vertical gardening if space is at a premium in your yard.
- Protection from the weather – The fact that the pergola is not completely closed off like a regular roof means it’ll still have that outdoorsy feel without succumbing to the elements. If the plants are dense enough, a pergola can even protect you from the rain!
Throughout Columbia and the surrounding area, Archadeck of Central South Carolina has helped many homeowners see the extensive versatility of a pergola in their back yard used either as a single element or in combination with another outdoor living structure such as a deck. We build them in all shapes and sizes utilizing many different materials, such as wood or vinyl and even aluminum. Yes, aluminum!
As you know aluminum is low-maintenance, won’t ever rust, tarnish, or degrade like other materials. Its wood-like texture is composed of a multi-coat baked-on finish that doesn’t need painting, it won’t warp, crack or split and it’s termite resistant. All of these features added together produce a product that has exceptional durability and endurance that is highly desirable for exterior projects…easily outperforming wood or vinyl.
We offer these aluminum pergolas in a variety of shapes, styles and colors. The shading style options allow anywhere from forty to sixty percent protection from the sun depending upon the spacing of the beams and is part of the design selection for the Open Style and the Combination Style pergola. The Open Style is the traditional open lattice, while the Solid Style is a fully covered pergola top which is impervious to rain. For the ultimate in all options, the Combination Style allows you to intermingle open and solid patio covers. For shapes and colors, our end cut options for the beams and rafters include: scallop, bevel, miter and corbel shapes with a color selection of designer hues to match and coordinate with any existing structures.
Versatility at its finest, there are many ways a pergola can dress up a backyard. A pergola can be a cost-effective way to add character and style to your outdoor living space while serving as a unique shade structure. Contact Archadeck of Central South Carolina to learn more about our various pergola styles and materials to create your own one-of-a-kind pergola. (803) 603-2160 email@example.com.